This twist on Caprese salad is a refreshing summertime treat that's sure to please!
Most people would agree that watermelon is delicious in the summertime. You can easily grow watermelon in the EarthBox® gardening system and even turn it into a vertical garden by letting it grow on the Staking System!
Try this yummy twist on Caprese salad for a refreshing summer treat. . .
RECIPE:Watermelon Salad with Mint
For all of our recipes, we will try to list suitable substitutions for vegetarian/vegan, and/or gluten-free diets if applicable.
What You'll Need:
- 1 whole watermelon, rind removed and cubed into medium-small pieces
- 2 small cucumbers, diced
- 1 package feta cheese (vegans can substitute with extra firm tofu crumbles)
- Fresh mint leaves, to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Balsamic glaze (also known as balsamic reduction, it is sweeter than straight balsamic vinegar)
- Fine sea salt
Let's Get Cooking:
- In a large glass bowl, add cubed watermelon and sprinkle lightly with fine sea salt.
- Lightly and sparingly drizzle EVOO over top of watermelon, followed by balsamic glaze.
- Lightly stir together to fully coat watermelon cubes.
- Open package of feta cheese and crumble over top of salad.
- Roughly chop mint leaves and add over top. Garnish with a whole mint leaf and serve.
Serving suggestion: Cut watermelon in half and use a melon baller to scoop flesh instead of cubing. Save one half of the hollowed rind and cut off just enough of the rounded part to create a flat bottom to use a serving bowl.