This twist on Caprese salad is a refreshing summertime treat that's sure to please!
Most people would agree that watermelon is delicious in the summertime. You can easily grow watermelon in the EarthBox® gardening system and even turn it into a vertical garden by letting it grow on the EarthBox® Staking System!
For a refreshing treat this summer, try this yummy twist on the classic Caprese salad. . .
RECIPE: Summertime Watermelon & Mint Salad
For all of our recipes, we will try to list suitable substitutions for vegetarian/vegan, and/or gluten-free diets if applicable.
What You'll Need:
- 1 whole watermelon, rind removed and cubed into medium-small pieces
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 package feta cheese or mozzarella pearls (vegans can substitute with extra firm tofu crumbles)
- Fresh julienned mint leaves, to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Balsamic glaze (also known as balsamic reduction, it is sweeter than straight balsamic vinegar)
- Fine sea salt
Let's Get Cooking:
- In a large glass bowl, add watermelon and cucumber; sprinkle lightly with fine sea salt.
- Lightly and sparingly drizzle EVOO over top, followed by balsamic glaze.
- Lightly stir together to fully coat watermelon and cucumber.
- Crumble feta cheese over top of salad. If using mozzarella pearls, break apart pearls before adding to the salad.
- Roughly chop mint leaves and add over top. Garnish with a whole mint leaf and serve.
Serving suggestion: Cut watermelon in half and use a melon baller to scoop flesh instead of cubing. Save one half of the hollowed rind and cut off just enough of the rounded part to create a flat bottom to use as a serving bowl.